It’s just about time to ring in 2013, we’ve made it through 2012 and survived. Hurray! As December comes to a close, I often find myself reflecting on the past year so I can celebrate the wins and vision where I’d like to grow, expand and deepen my knowledge. I’m not so big on making resolutions to lose weight or outright quit things, I prefer to focus on what I’d like to bring more of into my life and allow the details be worked out along the way, more on that process later.
The highlights of 2012 for me were completing Reiki Level I and II and being able to share healing treatments with many friends and family, becoming an AFCLA Certified Fitness Leader in the spring and still remembering the names of muscles and joint actions (!), developing and teaching chakra hooping workshops and spending a lot of time teaching kids to hoop during day camps in the summer and sometimes I even got to spread the message of loving and accepting yourself to teens during the workshops. All that was the result of my vision for 2012 – to live authentically, to embody my truth and to practice and share what I love with others. It’s still amazing to me what I can do when I put my mind to it! This year I also started an almost daily meditation practice, rekindled my love with yoga and restarted my yoga practice which was non-existent for a few years and took control of my physical health by drastically changing my diet. All these changes led to a more balanced, happier me and I feel a lot better mentally, emotionally and physically compared to how I felt a year ago, that is definitely a win!
Unfortunately this year, growth also came as a result of dealing with the sudden death of my sister-in-law and two friends. Each one of those people were taken far before their time and it’s still hard to believe they’re gone. I have worked through the grief by using their deaths as a reminder of just how precious life is and how important it is to take care your health, how important it is to take opportunities to see family and friends whenever you get them and to try and squeeze as much enjoyment out of life as possible because you never know if today will be your last. At 29, mortality isn’t something that often crosses your mind, but this year it has been an ongoing theme and has reminded me that each day is a gift and to appreciate it fully. With all that in mind, I take this time to set my intentions for 2013, I intend this to be my best year yet!
- I intend to love more and judge less. I intend to love myself more, to judge myself less. I will choose to love every part of me as it shows up and if there is something I don’t feel love for, I will choose to forgive myself for not being perfect and love it anyways. I will choose to live by the mantra “Love yourself for who you are, forgive yourself for who you aren’t”. I intend to love others more and judge less. I will choose to practice compassion for others, even if they’ve cut me off in traffic! I choose to show love to my body by feeding it with nourishing foods and will forgive myself if, from time to time, I overindulge in a not so nourishing glass of wine.
- I intend to share and give back. I intend to continue expanding my knowledge of healing modalities and nutrition to help myself become healthier and to share my knowledge with others. I intend to create new hooping workshops that bring more play and flow into people’s lives. I intend to become more involved in the communities that are important to me so I can co-create something I want to be a part of. I choose to create the world I want to live in.
- I intend to live in flow and say YES more often. I intend to invite more of what I want into my life; more adventure, more play, more pushing beyond my boundaries. I intend to say YES to opportunities that come my way, to allow opportunities to snowball and to allow serendipity to do its thing. I intend to spend more time doing things that are meaningful and that add value to my life and less time doing things that don’t. This means you will see less of me on Facebook and more of me in person.
- I intend to be a human BEING rather than a human DOING. I intend to be conscious and present and in the moment more often. I intend to be engaged in the activity I am participating in, rather than reliving the past or dreaming/worrying about the future. I choose to take control of my time and set boundaries so I can find the balance between work, play and rest.
- I intend to do a cartwheel. This is something I’ve never been able to do and I will choose to say that “I haven’t figured out how to do it yet” instead of “I can’t” because if I believe I can’t, I wont. I will choose to trust that my body will support me and is capable of this task and recognize that the only thing holding me back is my mind. I will choose to let go of fear of falling on my face and of losing control and allow my oh-so-intelligent body to complete this feat. Not only do I see myself doing a cartwheel, I see myself tossing a hoop 30 feet in the air, executing a cartwheel, landing flat on my feet and catching the hoop as it falls back to the earth. I intend to post a video when I figure it all out!
So there you have it, that is my highest vision for myself in 2013. By setting intentions and choosing to make a shift in the way I think, the possibilities of what can unfold are limitless. If I only set a goal to lose weight or eat better or quit a bad habit, I’d either achieve the goal or I wouldn’t. That would be OK but it would limit what I’m truly capable of. For instance, this year I set an intention to be healthier so I could get my digestive issues under control and have more energy. I didn’t know what that would look like, but I made a lot of changes to my diet that resulted in me losing about 15 – 20 pounds, my energy did increase, my digestive issues are under control, I can think more clearly and haven’t gotten sick like I normally do. By stating a broad intention without attachment to one specific result, I created a reality that I couldn’t have imagined a year ago and now as I look ahead to 2013, I’m so excited to allow the endless possibilities of awesomeness to unfold!
I invite you to share your visions and intentions to create the best 2013 you can by posting your intentions in a comment below. I would love to hold space to help you evolve to your highest potential. May 2013 be your best year yet!